Representation

Texts can represent the stereotypes of different groups although I think it can never fully represent a group unless the author is part of the group. However I think people need to realise that it is not real, that it is text that someone wrote, for example ‘Crazy Rich Asians’, people were upset that It didn’t include all Asians, other than Chinese people. I think people should take in account the story of the movie, how it’s centred around a Singaporean Chinese family, many of people get offended over small things and it is hard to satisfy everyone reading a text. The people who had a problem with this the most are the Asians who didn’t get represented in the movie, to which I don’t think it was the author’s intentions. Since the movie is centred around a Chinese family, I think the author chose to include more Chinese people and he wasn’t trying to exclude anyone. However, it could pose as a inconvenience as people who are not part of the culture may believe that in SIngapore that is how it is, but they should realise that it is just a movie and it is made for entertainment and is not trying to explain the situation of Singapore. I think that a lot of text can represent a stereotype of that group or even what the author knows and thinks about that group, so the text is true to them, but maybe not someone else. Overall I think that texts can represent groups of people to those who agree with the text whether it be true or false, I think that many can not have the same understanding of all the different groups.

I think identity can play a role in how we understand texts as if there is something in the text that we can relate to, it might be easier to understand what the author was trying to say. I think that if you don’t identify with a piece of text it can make it harder to understand what is written or portrayed as it doesn’t affect you. A text could also be relatable to a small group of people but it can help others learn about that group or how the author represents that group.