I have learned so much about ancient writing and philosophy by just reading and exploring the first few pages of Oedipus the King. I found the structure and the dramatic technique to be quite similar to writing in today’s day and age. After doing my research I found that a major portion of writing as we know it today has been based on writing in ancient Greek by people such as Sophocles. The way that greek tragedy was written was quite fascinating because thinking that people alive thousands of years before had come up with some of the ideas that we use today was interesting. One thing that really surprised me was how they have thought about naturalism in the play. They had made the characters good people who were just unlucky for two main reasons. One because it was very believable and two so the reader can empathize with the character. For greek tragedy, playwriters wanted the audience to empathize with the characters because they didn’t want the audience to see the character as a bad person but more so a good person who got unlucky. Greek theatre is interesting because the use of the chorus to represent the passing of a significant amount of time is nothing less than genius. This way the play will be able to finish in the allotted time and the audience will be able to follow the play.