ELP

What does your novel say about how the United States deals with Muslim immigrants and expatriates?

The Reluctant fundmentalist made by Mosin Hamid. After the 9/11 incident muslims were heavy backlash, discrimination and profiling towards Muslims as america was scared and destroyed by Osama bin ladin.

“My entrance elicited looks of concern from many of my fellow passengers, I flew to new york uncomfortable in my own face” When walking into the plane many of the passengers on the plane were giving elicited looks to Changez, This links loosely to racism, After the 9/11 attack he gets looked down at because hes a muslim and looks like a muslim. Hamid uses Imagery and the choice of words to paint a image in the audience’s mind to shows the judgement being shown to Changez.

what is the purpose of your trip to the United States sir?” she asked me. “I live here”, I replied. “That’s not what I asked you sir”, she said. In this quote from the book the officer shows hostility towards Changez, this hostility shows that muslim immigrants are not dealt the same way as others after the 9/11 attack, the attack has obviously been shown to turn even the officers against muslim imigrants.

Categories: ELP