GLOBAL ISSUE – VALIDATION

I think that a significant global issue surrounding identity is the idea that people find the need to constantly be seeking validation from others in their society in order to feel value. This, however, can be detrimental to people’s mental and physical health in a variety of different ways seen in modern-day including depression, eating disorders etc. I feel that technology has simply enhanced this idea of the need to seek validation through forms such as ‘likes’ on social media or the number of followers you have. I think that this can also be subtle and not as noticeable as you may think. Obviously, in the Black Mirror episode Nosedive, this global issue is seen a lot more literally but I think in day to day life especially for millennials this is a very relevant issue. The other day my sister told me that I had the most followers on Instagram out of everyone in our family and although I wouldn’t say that I’m especially bothered about things like this, I felt a sense of achievement when I was told this.

The idea of seeking validation also comes in the form of conformity which again is seen on social media, but this phenomenon can be seen in real life too. People mimic behaviours that they see on TV shows and movies, or things that they see authority figures doing in order to conform and with that comes validation. This concept of conforming to the norms of your society is not a new idea but it could be argued that it is emphasised due to the validation which people receive on social media. If someone on Instagram or YouTube has a million followers, for example, their following – and even just people who see their posts – are likely to mimic some of their behaviours in order to try and conform and gain the same popularity. This can be done consciously or subconsciously and I think that it’s important for people to recognize this.