Lauren's Portfolio

carpe diem

Boomies! ’19-20

I started Boomerang Bags back in 2017 in grade 9. Granted, I had a bit of an issue with my service choices at first, then I joined Boomerang Bags, as per my friends’ requests. After joining it, I realised that I could not have picked a better service. Boomerang Bags closely aligned with my moral values and my passion: protecting the earth. I’m an avid sailor, and when I sail around Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, I see so much plastic floating on the sea, washing up on beaches, and wrapped around coral and aquatic animals.

I started this service with way more gusto than the average kid would about starting service. I loved Boomerang Bags right from the start, and I loved working with my friends, cutting up fabric and sewing it and designing bags for the community, designing posters to promote our cause and trying to involve the school in our cause. In grade 10 for my Global Perspectives Critical Project, my group mates and I worked with Boomerang Bags to station 18 Boomerang Bags at the boarding house in school for boarding students to use. I’ve received very positive feedback from friends and classmates in the boarding house about the implementation of the bags, and this has spurred me to go further with it.

Because of the positive feedback of the bags in the schools, I chose to do Boomerang Bags again for my service for my last two years of school. I’d rather spend my last to years of school doing something I’m deeply passionate in and incorporate it fully in the communities around us than just skim the surface of a different surface for 4 seasons that I might not be as passionate about. I hope that through the hard work of the upcoming year, we’ll be able to put Boomerang Bags through to school and make it a norm, and spread the word about the wonderful work of this service, continuing its mission even after I’ve gone.

LO3Service Learning

hill81031@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg • September 10, 2019

Previous Post

Next Post