My best friend

Best Friend

I want you to think about your best friend in your head. Do you feel the smile creeping onto your face? The feeling of happiness feeling of happiness you have. The amount of times that you both scream, cry, do stupid things. You got that warm fuzzy feeling don’t you. Okay now i want you to think of a world without them. You can’t really imagine it can you. The blank spaces in your life, wondering where they have gone. Well, that’s my life. You must be wondering, did you guys have a disagreement? Or that he or/ she has moved to another country? That would seem so much easier and better. But it’s not.

My best friend is dead.

That’s the truth. She is gone from my life. Not the faking death to scare you then you guys have a laugh over ice cream. But the type of death that you go to a funeral wearing all black. Looking down at your coffin where you lay. Flowers littered around your grave. Everyone’s face is neutral but if you look closer into their eyes, you can see how they patched up the glass carefully. Trying not to break it.

The Truth

Click the image to edit or update

Remove featured image

It was the June holidays and I was in Australia with my family. We just went into a coffee shop for lunch and as usual I connected my phone to the internet, waiting for all the messages to be loaded. When all the vibrations stopped, I looked at my phone. I expected to get messages like “hows Australia” or “hey how has your holidays been”. But what i got was the unexpected. Most of the messages were about our seniors, Primary 6s who went on an expedition to Mount Kinabalu. Confused i continued reading, the words “earthquake”, “injure” and “deaths” popped up the most.

I went to search online not believing that it is true. However it was. I was devastated. On of my best friends, Emilie was there. I started to panic. Tears formed in my eyes. I turned to my parents and told them as soon as my tears ran down my cheeks.

2 days afterwards, it was announced on the news. “Sabah quake: Timeline of tragedy for Singapore students caught in deadly Mount Kinabalu landslide” the straits times reported.

7 students, 2 teachers and a guide passed away. All from my school, Tanjong Katong Primary School (TKPS) except the guide.

I was still in Australia when i heard from my friends that the news reporters swarmed around tkps, wanting to get a hand on anyone who was in tkps to interview them. I felt very annoyed for we have just been through so much and they want to ask everyone about their experience. I wish they could just leave us alone. Every child or adult had red blotchy cheeks from crying. Most of kids who passed were only 11 or 12 years old. They had so much life in their eyes. So much more to do in their lives. It was their last year at tkps and they never had a chance in graduating. Their lives were cut way too short. Nobody expected them to leave so suddenly.

None of them even had a proper goodbye. Or telling them how much they have been loved. The feeling of regret not telling them how much you love them when they were alive.

When school started, everyone was uneasy about what had happened. It was all a bit of a haze. We were all in our hall when our principal addressed us. Many of us older kids cried for we were close to them while the younger ones were not sure of how to address the situation. Above us in the gallery was a reporter who was videoing us. I had tears dripping down my cheeks and wept quietly. In honour of the students who survived and passed, the TK brave hearts, all of the school and Singapore flags around the country was raised at half mast to pay our respects.

It’s going to be the 4th year since the incident had occur in June. I doesn’t cry anymore. I will still mourn for them and wear black but it doesn’t affect me as much as it used to be. I thinks about the memories I had with her and how it impacted me. To be a better person and to appreciate everyone in life. No matter how much they annoy you or make you mad. They will be forever missed but never forgotten.  

One thought on “My best friend

1. I think your use of emotion in this piece of creating has managed to create a beautiful piece of work. This article is so powerful in the sense that it captures you’re feeling as well as the factual side. It is a powerful piece of writing.