Shadowing Ms. Wong

I attended a conference on cyber security where Ms. Su-Yen Wong was giving a presentation. Ms. Wong and Mr. Brian Hansen both presented, and I noticed a few differences in their presentation styles. The main thing I noticed was that Mr. Hansen tended to talk more about himself and brought in more personal stories than Ms. Wong, something that relates to what I heard at the Lean In event. At the Lean In event, I learned that most women get feedback on their speaking style rather than the actual content of their presentations, specifically that they “sound too young” or “should speak less about themselves”. I also had a chance after the conference to

On a separate day, I shadowed Ms. Wong and followed her to several meetings. The first meeting I attended was a board meeting for the Singapore Institute of Directors. After, I followed Ms. Wong to a few more meetings before meeting Dr. Ann-Maree Moodie, a managing director from Australia. Dr. Moodie advises CEOs and senior leadership teams on effective communication with boards. She has a 14-year-old daughter and I found her to be a really good example of balancing career and family. Dr. Moodie’s often takes her daughter on business trips with her to avoid leaving her at home with nothing to do and to still be able to spend time with her and take care of her while working. Dr. Moodie has managed to advance her career and even go back to school to earn her doctorate while raising her daughter.