CREATIVITY + LEADERSHIP: MEMORY PROJECT

The Memory Project is an organisation that works with high school students to create portraits for children around the world in order to cultivate global kindness. Since 2004, the organisation has delivered more than 160,000 portraits to children in more than 55 different nations. Each child receiving a portrait has a different backstory. Some from refugee camps, some in severe poverty, these children could really benefit from being shown that people care about their wellbeing. The name Memory Project is derived from the vision of the organisation to create special childhood memories for the children to look back at in the future. 

The entire process is quite a simple one. Pictures of the children from different charities get sent to different high schools around the world. Students create one-of-a-kind portraits with assistance from their teachers. These portraits are then sent back to the organisation which delivers them to the appropriate charities.

The memory project was a really fulfilling experience and I was very happy to take part in painting the portraits for the kids. It was a great way to connect with not only the Pakistani culture but also the children and the art community. Throughout this activity I developed my art skills further but at the same time, I was able to understand a deeper connection of how art brings people from all over the world together. I really enjoyed painting the portrait for the girl I was painting because I realised that through the process, I got to build a special bond with a child without ever meeting her. The process of painting this little girl whom I’ve never seen in real life, made me find out tiny details that I wouldn’t even realise about people I see all the time.