“It’s seeing the actual items going out and understanding the communities thus, giving you the feeling that impact that you imply to make a difference. This service allows me to get to know my new students, which frankly is quite new to me as I’ve mostly been sitting at the front desk (in the service office). I feel that the pupils and I have mutual understanding and have been learning so much together, and as I have spent so long organising trips, it is now easy for me to make sure that the right materials are sent to other services. For me personally, I have understood the difference between ‘good’ and ‘bad’ donations. Before I had joined this school, I would’ve thought that anything I didn’t feel like I needed was what other people would have needed but, I soon realized that this was not the case. This is what encourages me to be more mindful towards what we really do here in ‘Hands On’. We are still a new group in the system but, we are trying our best to reach out to the school community and let them know what we are doing and how to change their mindsets about donating things that may or may not be necessary.”

Julia Chapman, Teacher Supervisor, Hands On