We ended up our development unit, it is a wide included unit- includes most of the interaction concepts and details. End of the unit task is to use provided categories to form sentences and interpretation.
- Values/ measures/ correlations/ causes/ contradiction/ power/ culture/ institutions/ sustainability
The culture within a nation can also be a goal for development. Culture includes personal attitudes, self- realization, self-achievement, etc. It is hard to say that an individual’s value or a country is not influenced by their culture. With improved learning and health, increased tolerance, and opportunities to come together with others, culture enhances our quality of life and increases overall well-being for both individuals and communities.
There is a alter correlation between institution and development. Factors include the quality of bureaucracy, corruption in government, rule of law, expropriation risk, and repudiation of the contract by the government have been tested to determine their effect on economic growth. Additionally, in development, what we choose to measure affect our value. There is no standard for measurement of development, so the focus alters your view on development. For instance, if I decide to measure the development of China and Australia by using the commodities value and GDP, the result will end up differently since China is going through tertiary production level whereas Australia is still depending on minerals exports. However, Australia has a higher GDP than China. Therefore, people might argue between these two countries.
During the last several classes, we tried to express a world traditional story in different techniques. At first, we focused on to build the steal images of the story. Then added the element of traditional masks which made it more mystical. Eventually, we used some traditional puppets to perform the story. When we were thinking about the WTT story, we were trying to find a theme for the steal images, this attempt gives the audience a sense of our story. Additionally, we added smooth transitions while we were using the masks, the most difficult task for wearing a mask is to exchange between mask and characters. One of the techniques we used is to emphasize the other side of the story while one person is changing masks. Finally, the performance of the traditional puppet is the hardest attempt since the manipulation of the puppet need practices. It is harder to express the character compares to the first attempt, so it is considered as a new improvement of our play.
This overall process helps us to understand different performing techniques in world traditions. It was a well experience and I had a chance to get to know other performing techniques. I still remember when we were discussing to perform traditional fairy tales using masks. That’s the funniest part for me due to we all familiar with the story so act out the characteristics of character is even harder.
My Mandala reflection had reflected some of my common misunderstood and mistakes in writing. The comments are usable for me to improve my writing skills, it let me discover what is my strength and weak point. In order to improve my writing skills, I need to set some goals in the future.
- I need a further explanation for the statement and examples. In my essay, I stated the marriage system in China but I did not point out why it is a Chinese traditional. This explantation formed a more complete structure so it can help the teacher to better understand the explanation.
- I need to reread the criteria and the writing prompts every time when I open the document. The criteria remind me of what I need to include in the essay. The miss of one of the explanations is the main cause of losing points in the essay.
Overall, I did not include all the criteria in my essay, some of the paragraphs are missing ingredients. Sometimes I did not explain the influences or how does it relate to determinism, free will, etc. I learned from this project that I need to clearly analyze the criteria and the table since it is the standard for grading the essay.
During the last drama class, we made our own puppet and created its own stories. Our goal is to ensure the human movement of the puppet, give him an identity and show its story. This is a new type of performing, so how can we make the puppet “alive” is the essential ability that we need to work on during the class.
- Manipulation: The puppet should be manipulated by at least three people- one person control its legs and the other two hold its arms, neck, and body. The first action that makes the puppet alive is breathing. In order to let it breathe, the person who controls the neck needs to move up and down to show the fluctuate of its body. Three principles about manipulating a puppet: focus, breathe and move.
- Storytelling: Since we only have one puppet, we can only show one person’s story. At first, we were thinking about a depression moment of the puppet. When the extra actor was added in the story, more ideas came out. Our story is about a baby who is trying to learn walking, he falls several times but eventually, he can walk straightly. We choose this because this could be challenging to manipulate the puppet’s movement.
- Emotion and feeling: When we are trying to express the puppet emotion and its feelings, we normally use body language to express its emotion since we can not make sounds. For instance, to show the sad emotion of the puppet, he can wipe his face and his body can shake.
One example video demonstrates the theme, by adding background music, motifs and repetitions. The event of the theme is not obvious to speculate, that gives the audience a sense of mystery. The facial expressions of characters in the video are easy to catch. A significant moment is when two of the characters trying to overcome their difficulties, while the other two without actions. They add certain repetition in it, the clear comparison highlights the purpose.
I like the motifs they use in the video, interact with the characters in order to demonstrate their theme together. In the same moment, they use light spots to distinguish the emotions between characters. This can be a good way of comparison.
The importance of that theatre moment is that it served as a transition which indicates what is going to happen next. In the way, we are planning our transitions and set out the background storeis. This can be an inspiration for us.The expression tools they use can applied on our theme as well.
Smile of China is a global concern group in UWCSEA which is willing to help impoverished kids in China by raising funds for them. It was first founded by an Australian couple in China. It is called as the New hope foundation. Its purpose is to providing loving care and arranging medical treatment and palliative care for orphaned children in China.
The reason why I want to join in this GC is that it is related to my own country. I am passionate about helping other disabled people in China. Some situations in China can be found in on news. We can clearly see what happened to the kids who are suffering from poverty. Smile of China provides a great opportunity for me to try something new.
Welcome to this blog which is about my first week in United World College of South East Asia. It was totally different from my original school.I came out from the comfort zone and try to connect with more people in the community. Although is hard to fit into a new environment, I will be proud of myself for overcomes the hardest part. My expectation for this year is to improve my English language skills, subjects’ grades and being a real “UWCer”. In order to achieve these goals, I might make a plan in detailed which can reflect my learning.No doubt to say, teachers here are soooo nice and are willing to help the students with struggles.UWCSEA is a new starting point for me. In this week, we mostly played ice-breaking games during the classes due to everybody is new and does not familiar with teachers.This process is essential for a learner because it is important to know your coworkers and teacher’s teaching style. On Friday, we get to know more services, including GCs. The culterama is coming soon so everybody is getting excited about the school. However, struggles and hard feelings still appeared toward me, that might be same for everyone. Anyways, keep going!!!