Today we were spoken to by our fourth speaker at writers fortnight, Mukul Deva. Entrepreneur, Author, and Soldier.

How to write a story:

Plot: Thriller, Romance or Mystery

Setting: Time/Period (Past, Present, Future) + Where (Location )

Characters: Quantity? + Point of View Characters

Incidents: POV Character at risk or danger – These moments define your character

Mukul Deva spent around 16.5 years with the Indian army and when asked how this had affected his writing, he said, “It taught me that the gun doesn’t solve any problems’. Saying this really brought to light (for me) how violence is used in many places to solve problems. Since it used so often, we can see why there continues to be a conflict after conflict. Another really inspiring aspect of him is his perseverance. After dropping out of school at the age of 16, he enrolled in the Indian Army. After 16.5 years of experience there, he knew that he needed a field change and started to work to becoming an author and entrepreneur. Since I take enterprise, it is really admirable to see how late in life he started his businesses yet they have grown quite large. Most startups today fail. But his will and perseverance are clearly shown through his field changes and his accomplishments in his new fields which he changed to.