What has been the biggest challenge within CAS so far and what might you do to improve this?

1. Coding For Good

So far I have had 2 sessions of Coding For Good and as the Mentor Lead, its been quite a smooth transition into the year. The first lesson was a bit challenging as I wasn’t entirely sure of what my role entailed and we had many new students show up of whom we needed to organize into working on different tasks. I was nervous at first because while I have been part of this service for 2 years, I wasn’t previously in a leadership role. However, as the session continued, the role became more natural and comfortable with the freedom being a huge advantage. In order to make sure the lessons continue to be this way, I will use a more organized and structured approach when it comes to planning out and managing tasks for the new members of the service. I’m looking forward towards this next year of coding for good and making a bigger change within our school community.

2. Sumo Robotics

3 sessions have gone by and I believe it is going quite well now. This would probably count as one of my biggest challenges as it is a completely new activity to me and it is my job to lead it. The first session went off to a bit of a rocky start as it ended up being quite dry. This was because we had to have everybody download all the software they would need which took a while. However, after this first session, everyone was put on the right track and I believe it’s going quite well now. In order to improve the quality of the sessions, I will be doing a lot more lesson by lesson planning as well as one on one teaching to make sure everyone is on board with their projects.

3. Muay Thai

With two sessions down so far, Muay Thai is going great. I have to admit, coming to the first session I was quite skeptical of how it would turn out. Especially since it has been a while since I have gotten back into the martial arts. I had no idea what to expect and therefore perhaps my biggest challenge in this process was actually brining myself to go. To which I am really glad I did as Muay Thai provides a great period of time to release stress, exercise and have fun. This is especially important as it is at the end of my day on Friday providing a good ending to every week at school.