First impression

I first heard from IFP thanks to one of the grade twelves in our school, Vera, who was really supportive and ready to help when I asked her about her experiences with CAS. She told me about this amazing experience she had with Initiative for Peace and how much she recommended it to me. I had not much idea of what it was and which were IFP’s goals but the idea of promoting peace was good sounding enough for me to give it a try.

Beginnings

I went to the first conference they had, that was ran by elder students who took this same service last year. That really helped me to understand the concept of Initiative for Peace, what were they focusing on and why was it not only important but necessary. They did not presented the main goals of the course or what we would do, they just explained us what peace was and what we needed to become peacemakers, they just made us more aware of an important moral responsibility we had as students and more specifically as world citizens.

1st Reflection

Once we started the course I realized that everything was a little more different to what I imaginated. We needed to first understand some concepts before going to action. We learned what coaching is, in this case a careful and active listen that at the same time motivates the other person to keep on expressing themselves and allows them to think about their own ideas. Really complicated, a true skill that may take years to master. During the course we learned about stereotypes, leader abilities, discrimination… All completely linked with peace building, even further than linked, those topics and issues were the roots in the process of peace. It never sounded easy to achieve something like peace, but now we were getting at least the tools!!!

Learning outcomes present:

N.1 I am more aware of my strengths and areas of growth

N.2 I undertake new challenges

N.3 I planned and initiated a new activity

N.4 I worked collaboratively with others

N.5 I Show perseverance and commitment

N.6 I engage with a global issue

N.7 I consider the ethical implications of actions

N.8 I develop new skills

Final reflection

If I needed to stay with just one thing about my whole IFP experience as a course maybe it would be Initiative for Peace idea for peace as a way an not a goal. I feel that we do not actively seek for peace, it is more solving conflicts in a peaceful way. This really made me think about the issue and changed my perspective about conflicts and their solutions. My experience was also so great that I decided to not only continue with it, also to personally engage in my own conference with Initiative for Peace Cambodia. I need to say that it was probably the best experience I have had so far!!!

Learning outcomes present:

N.2 I undertake new challenges

N.5 I Show perseverance and commitment

N.6 I engage with a global issue

N.8 I develop new skills