Pottery (1)

Pottery was an art form that was mostly unexplored for me and I always wanted to try out for the creative experience. Personally, I have come in touch with pottery as one of my family members does pottery as a hobby. This lead to me taking up this opportunity to engulf in this activity.

In the session, we looked online for inspiration of things that we could possibly make and is of practical use. Rather than learning each and every technique used in pottery, we first got a block of clay that we could get used to and play around to get the experience first hand. There are specific tools that we could use to make the process easier. For the first session, I crafted a cup which has a thumb holder. I chose to craft a cup as it was a simple project to work on at first and adding a bit of originality by having the thumb holder (indent) for practicality.

From this session, I was able to achieve LO2, where I developed new skills while making the cup. The skills obtained here can be used for my future projects as a tool. During the crafting process, I also overcame challenges by asking an experienced person on how to fix one of the mistakes I did during the process.

Also, LO3 was touched upon as the whole process of making a ceramic piece need to be planned as it a time-consuming process. Being able to plan ahead, making the cup more suitable for the firing process in the kiln.