Reflective Conversation #2

A large part of my research included conducting experiments and spending time in the lab to investigate the effect of the antibacterials on the bacteria. Initially I had some issues and some of the trials had no result but a most of my trials had usable data which was successful. But at times there were issues in the results or the method. There were anomalies and inconclusive results in certain trials which impacted the investigation overall. I learned form this that more time and more trials were required in order to get more precise results. I also learned how long biology investigations take and found a new appreciation for what I was doing. My approach only changed slightly in the sense that I increased the number of trials for each and kept the time intervals between data collection constant in order to have a fair test, a technique which developed as I conducted more trials and improved my microbiology skills.

Words Count: 160

One thought on “Reflective Conversation #2

1. By taking an investigative approach, you have had an authentic experience of what it is like to undertake scientific research with all of its trials and tribulations! It always takes much longer than you think, and by doing a trial investigation together with experience, you were in a position to be able to refine your methodology. It’s good that you recognised that when you weren’t getting any data, that you had to be flexible and adapt accordingly e.g. by leaving your plates to incubate for longer or to carry out more repeats.