Nimisha's UWCSEA Learning Journey

"Words have power. TV has power. My pen has power." – Shonda Rhimes

Kruger National Park

I tilt my head upwards and gaze at the stars. The infinite number of stars that illuminate the sky from hundreds and billions of galaxies. My gaze is fixed, the same way my ancestors would have millions of years ago. Wondering that of all the many places that exist in the boundaries of an infinitely large universe, why they were sent to this dry continent on this tiny blue speck. I wonder today, a million years later that of all the paradises that stand in reality and that stand within the fragments of human imagination, why my paradise is an arid, dry, rugged and harsh stretch of land. The heart of life. There is an uncapturable essence given by the sheer raw beauty of Africa. An inner soul calling, a constant longing that pulls you deeper and deeper into it’s heart. Then you are there, cutting through the cool breeze on the chase to watch it’s pristine balance of life unfold like a show before your eyes. A feeling of contentment, tranquility and belonging envelopes you, a feeling you never want to leave behind.

In July, this year I had the privilege of diving into Africa’s beating heart. Kruger National Park in South Africa was truly a paradise. Being in Kruger allowed the rest of the world to fade away. Eight game drives didn’t feel enough, even a million wouldn’t. The day started early and before sunrise we would drive of into the darkness. Soon this darkness would be broken by a timid ray of light, looking out from the safety beneath the horizon. Like a sentry Meerkat poking out from the safety of its burrow. Coast clear, of course. Slowly more rays would crawl out from the shelter of the horizon. The African sunrise begins to show. The pinkish orange light would kiss the ground and like a deep blush spreading across one’s face, the heat would spread across the lands. The light would seep through the branches forming silhouettes of dancing trees. As the sun rises in the sky, the chorus of birds begin to harmonize, chirping, signifying the entrance of the main character, our rising star. The hippos submerge into the wallows of the water, the impalas leap high across the shadowed plains and the elephants throw mud into the air landing as sunscreen on their backs. The cats stalk to make one last kill before complete light. The cycle of life, the intimacy of nature. When driving across the bush, you don’t know what you’ll stumble upon: A majestic lion cub, filled with pride and dignity bigger than it’s tiny paws can handle. Or the deathly glare of a magnificent male leopard, stalking slowly towards the jeep. Or the playful aura of a hyena cub stumbling and nudging its siblings to join in. Or the strong chase of the wild dog’s across many kilometers to take down a waterbuck with ten powerful bites from the packs strong jaws. An unforeseeable beauty.

We were lucky enough to share this experience with the best guide and tracker we could have possible asked for. Omega and Rodger became like family to us over the five days. They were extremely passionate and eager to share with us the beauty of the nature. The times we spent together driving around is unforgettable. My most cherished memories was when we would get a radio signal for the citing of an animal. Omega would rear up the engine and drive fast to get there on time. Rodgers would lift his hand up on every bump to celebrate the success.

Laughter rose as we continue to drive through the bush. On evening drives they would choose the best spots to pull up the jeep, grab some drinks and snacks to watch the African sunset. These were my favorite times. We would stand together and watch the sun paint the canvas of the sky in shades of orange, blue and purple. Giving one last display before it retreated for the night. But Omega would always say the drive isn’t over until it’s over. We would hop back on and drive into the darkness. Because as the sun retreats leaving behind cold fragments where the heat once flourished, the bush comes to life.

My favorite drives were often the ones after sunset. I would tuck myself into the blanket forming a cocoon around me. Allowing the cool breeze to stroke my face. I tilt my head upwards and gaze at the stars. I watch our universe reign over the bush. I watch the moonlight beam down, providing sanctuary for the fearful prey. On our last night driving through the darkness, the  stark silence was interrupted by the footsteps of a predator. A naive young male lion attempted to hunt a honey badger. The adrenaline soared in my veins as the lion pounced and within a second a nasty scent was released that made the lion run away. The chase was finally over. That night we witnessed a blood moon. The sun pierced through the moon causing it to bleed out. The sun was our predator and the moon our prey. It shone big and red in the sky. Just as it did a hundred years ago, and millions of hundreds of years ago when my ancestors trekked through its untouched beauty. A paradise preserved for millennia’s. A paradise that should be preserved for millennia’s to come.

grade 9seperatetravel

iyer78649@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg • September 21, 2018

Previous Post

Next Post