Extended Essay Reflection 2

Through broader research about Theatre of the Oppressed, I concluded that focusing on internal oppressions instead of mental illnesses fits more with the applications of Boal’s theory. My supervisor suggested I find empirical research to support my essay; however, I realised that due to the abstract nature of theatre and its psychological impact, the most evidence I would be able to find is anecdotal. I contacted Theatre of the Oppressed companies to ask for accounts of their progress although very few responded. I was able to find testimonies from workshops and learn a bit more about determining whether or not a workshop was successful or not and looked into other approaches to overcoming internal oppressions such as using TO in Medical Humanities courses which I think adds an important element to my research. My supervisor advised that I should outline more clearly what types of internal oppressions I am exploring and what made individuals vulnerable to these oppressions.

Emily Jayamohan

I believe that I am a very all-rounded person. I have a high commitment to all of my academic subjects, activities and services and I always try to complete every task to the best of my abilities. My focus is to strengthen my involvement in my passions as well as grow in my skills by joining other activities. Some of my extra-curricular interests are sports, theatre, music, dance, and service. My previous commitments in school (some of which I am still continuing) include: Tabitha GC, volunteering at Mutts and Mittens animal shelter, netball coaching, umpiring, and representing teams, volleyball teams, customer service and business operations in the East College Shop and head of Dance Showcase organising committee.