Revelations – Programme Notes and Areas of Focus

#LO1 #LO7 #LO6

What the dance is about: 

The subject of Revelations is a celebration of African American heritage and community through 4 sections. Each section is a tribute to a celebration of the richness of black culture. Section 1, religion, communicated through a mood of holiness. Section 2 explores the labour and a mood of determinism and strength. Section 3 is centered around a theme of baptism. The final section returns to the first dynamic of piousness and religion. 5 styles: African, Caribbean (as an exploration of heritage), Horton technique, ballet and jazz dance. It is important to do these themes justice through the performance, showing respect to these communities by always maintaining a choreographic intention. 

Focus for dance elements: 

In section 1, an atmosphere piousness can be reflected through a sustained dynamics well as the ‘holy’ nature to the openness of my chest, and the upwards facing. Some Caribbean elements (spine undulations can be seen here)  In section 2 I have a strong-willed nature through projection and a heavy, yet outwards dynamic. The themes of baptism in section 3 can be seen through the more fluidness and fulfilment to my movement and expressions. The last section returns to the first theme, so I again use an open chest, and a peaceful dynamic.