My passion for art has always been with me since I was young. But more importantly, although I didn’t realise it, I’ve loved art for its impact on others. The way a piece of art can elicit an emotion is incredible. Moreover, each piece has a story behind them; how each piece was inspired by the artist. Art pieces can be comparable to people. Each person is unique with a different story to tell which is sprung from their environment and experiences growing up. I don’t have a clear view of my future and exactly how it is laid out, however, I see an explosion of culture and involvement with a range of different people.

As a kid, I always struggled with voicing my opinions verbally. My reaction to this was to express whatever I was feeling, in other forms: art, writing and music. Eventually, entering middle school, I had to learn to confront my fear of talking in front of large groups. Often my battle with self confidence and self esteem had a lot to do with my fear. I felt judgement from others pile up on me every time I got ready to speak. To overcome this challenge, the creative outlets I used would no longer push me further. In truth, social media is what helped me. Those who spoke out about deep and relevant topics such as their own journeys with self confidence showed me that I was not alone. It made me feel less insecure knowing that some people go through the same struggles and also it gave me the support I needed. 

“When we change the way we communicate, we change society,” said American writer Clay Shirky. The power of social media is unquestionable in today’s world. Worldly events, fashion trends, viral videos transfer through the media via apps we carry in our phones. But the way we address and frame these ideas and events, has the power to alter our society. It provides a voice for everybody and connects people world wide.  

In closing, in the future, I want to be a part of a change or a power to unite people. Although I am not aware of the specifics, to influence those like me when I was a child, would make me feel like I’ve truly made a difference whether it be big or small. I would be able to give others the gift of having a community in which people are inspired by each other. To accomplish this goal, I want to study in the field of communication, culture or media. It would be able to provide me with knowledge applicable to the type of change and influence I want to achieve.