Amala Reflection

As Human Rights Day is coming up, we, the HS Amala group, has been brainstorming various activities that we can hold to raise more awareness about refugee education as well as collaborate with other focus groups to expand our reach. This was the first event that we had been planning since the beginning of school, therefore as we recruited new members to our focus group I felt that there was a significant difference between the number of ideas and opinions that were brought up when brainstorming for our event.

Before we started planning our actual event, we brainstormed different events that could be held directed towards junior, middle, and high school. There is no doubt that the audience that we are presenting to plays a significant role in planning the type of activity that we hold, for instance, junior schoolers are more prone to losing focus more easily than high schoolers. Hence, when planning an event for junior schoolers, we took into account their level of focus and the type of activity that they would be engaged in. However, due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, there had been various instances that we encountered, since we were not able to come in direct contact with junior schooler, our activity needed to be held virtually, therefore we came up with the idea to film a screencast and send it to junior school teachers to present to their class. 

The final event that we came up with for Junior School students was Pictionary, as we felt that this would be a creative way for students to engage in different words that are related to refugee education, along with a coarse presentation that briefly explained the significance of Human Rights day and refugee education. In addition, towards middle school students, we created a screencast presentation, along with a video that we had created last year that explains the barriers refugees come across in detail, which allowed them to broaden their understanding of refugee situations.

Ultimately, I felt that planning for Human Rights Day was a great opportunity for me to build new friendships with other students from different focus groups, as well as learning more bout refugee education myself. I also took away the importance of collaborating with other students and working as a group as I felt that this allowed us to develop more creative and engaging events that would’ve taken a lot more time if it were to be done individually.

0 comments on “Amala ReflectionAdd yours →