NYAA PHYSICAL RECREATION

For my physical recreation, I did circuit training, aerial troupe and Taekwondo.

I really enjoyed circuit training, as it was very engaging and helped me strengthen my core muscles. Each session, there would be a menu on the white board and we would have to do a few sets of it and occasionally, Sul (our coach) would come around and check if our forms are correct. Every time, it would be a different workout that would focus on different parts of the body to train, for example, one session would focus on lower body where we have to do lunges or squats etc, and another session would focus on abs and cardio.

I also enjoyed aerial troupe, as it was a very unique sport. In my school, we have the hoop, silk and trapeze and my favourite one was the silk. In just one year, I was able to climb up the silk without any help and do basic moves on it such as the candy cane, and various drops. I found every session to be fun and motivating, and they always pushed me to persevere whenever I wasn’t able to accomplish a move. Aerial troupe was extremely rewarding as it was something that I could keep on improving and learning.

I have always had a passion for martial arts. In the past years, I used to take karate classes and achieved a black belt, and recently starting from May, I started taking Taekwondo lessons because I missed the feeling of discipline and focus. I believe that martial arts doesn’t just teach us how to defend ourselves, but also teaches us to respect our teachers, peers, as well as make us concentrate and self reflect. In Taekwondo, I learned effective ways to kick and how to get the most impact on the opponent and many more. I look forward to the upcoming competitions and learning more.