NYAA SKILL- Orchestra and ITP

My skill that I chose to focus on was playing the clarinet. I have played the clarinet for almost four years now in orchestra and also took the Instrumental Teaching Programme (ITP) through grade 7 to 9 where I was able to develop technical skills such as scales and arpeggios, and prepare for my Trinity clarinet exam.

ITP helped me with my technical skills and overall knowledge of the instrument. When I first started clarinet, I struggled quite some time as I was unfamiliar with it, but as time went by with my perseverance, I slowly improved and got where I am today. For example, before I was not able to read any sheet music but now, I can sight read it with less difficulty. The weekly 30 minute sessions helped me get confident about my instrumental skills and also helped me achieve the qualification of passing grade 3 clarinet.

Every Tuesday afternoon, I had orchestra in which I had to learn to take responsibility for my part as a clarinet player. In grade 9, there were only two clarinet players including me. This meant that I had to learn my part and practice at home, in order to keep up with the rest of the orchestra. What I really love about orchestra is the fact that different instrument are playing in harmony to make a beautiful sound or music, and everyone in it has an important role. Orchestra has helped me build my teamwork skills, organisational skills and discipline. Not only that, but it also helped with my ability to cope under pressure as I have to perform at the highest level every rehearsal and specially when performing for an audience. I believe that the ability to adapt and improvise in stressful situations will help me later in life.

Overall, clarinet has helped me engage with different people as well as develop technical skills, build teamwork, organisational skills, discipline and the ability to cope under pressure.