P1 tips

Notes on how to write a better paper 1 to not fail IB 

-Develop ideas, analysis should be used to fully explore and the concepts are actually explained.
– Have a clear thesis that relates to all the points raised, theme
– Have basic knowledge on history- 1934, heavily segregated or great depression.. I should’ve taken history last year
– Make connections, The ad is creating a social anxiety . . . perhaps in new homemakers, young wives, families challenged by the Great Depression: buy this product, and your house will become a “home.”
– Spot patterns, The references to “home” this and “home” that are perhaps attempting three kinds of brand-building.
– Purpose Style Audience
– Sans serif and serif
– Example: The color palette of the image matches the column of text.
Her dress signals the signature logo-colors of the can.
We are looking UP at the model and she is looking over our heads and eyes; we are BENEATH her, which emphasizes her status and power (both can be ours if we serve this soup).
The line of the railing draws the eye to her body and then to the can at the bottom right, building an association between glamour and the product, wealth and the product, sexuality and the product . . .
– discuss elements of persuasion, talk about the purpose of an ad not just deeper meaning 
– Basically make everything SOUND good

Personal reflection 

– Thought I included thesis but it really wasn’t, so my whole understanding of what a thesis and topic sentences are wrong! How did I get through IGCSE I’m really not sure. Looking at the examples, my thesis needs to be more broad and talking about global issues, key ideas and themes, like “The advert places importance on one’s perception within society and on outward appearances”
– I was able to detect meaning but my vocabulary that could be used to describe the text is lacking. Development is lacking. Thesis is lacking. Consideration of audience is lacking. Hence I deserve a 4.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk