IO Reflection

Having completed the English Internal Oral there are many things to look back on. The IO required us to pick two texts. I think it was a good idea to choose home fire as we had spent quite a lot of time in it in class and it appears to be an interesting text with very controversial and modern issues. As it reimagines the Sophocles play “Antigone” there are key underlying messages that will exist throughout the rest of mankind. The conflict of the law vs family. At what point does family exempt us from the law? The non-lit text I chose was Redemption Song, Bob Marley is someone that I have always been fascinated in. He is deeply inspiring to me and I am always listening to his music. I chose redemption song as I believe it to be one of his greatest songs.

When establishing a connection between the two texts, I came up with the idea of identity and how both Parvaiz and Bob Marley struggles to come to terms with themselves especially when in a dominant society. Although this connection may seem farfetched, I think I did a good job at establishing the common themes between the two. If I were to do the IO again I could have perhaps chosen a different non-lit text that had closer ties to Homefire yet the consequence to that is that I may have not been as passionate about it.

In terms of the actual IO, I felt like I prepared very well for it. I didn’t want to “memorise a script” as I thought this would lose my natural flow. Instead, I practised my IO from my outline and was able to elaborate from each of the bullet points. Overall I am really happy with how the whole process went and the experience as a whole is something I will remember for the rest of my life.