Reflecting on a year of service in Grade 11

Having completed a whole year of service throughout grade 11, I certainly feel like this CAS experience has had a relevant impact on me. Unfortunately, the year did get cut short due to COVID although I do believe I really made the most of this experience. One of the most rewarding things from the service was the ability to establish strong connections with our partners. From the first day we met until the last, I was partners with Ng Hung Khim. I felt like him and I developed special connections that got stronger throughout the year.

I definitely feel like there is global significance to my service as it is important to engage and interact with your wider community. To see many children teaching older people was really powerful for me. Personally, I felt like I didn’t really have the ability to teach older generations as I am a student myself and it was quite strange to be in the opposite role. It was valuable to see how people can take their different strengths to help other people and vice versa.

Throughout the year I have recognised the ethics of my actions within service. By simply doing these reflections I am thinking about the actions and impact that I have made. I also think it is important to recognise how, as a group, we have grown and become more efficient, collaborative and overall provide a better experience for the care centre residents. Another valuable component was when the grade 9 & 10’s joined our service near the end of grade 11 and we were able to teach them and explain to them everything, passing on the service and saying goodbye for them to carry on working with our partners.

#LearningOutcome6 #LearningOutcome7

Posted in