Maths and Me

My name is Shrishti and my previous math experience was the iGCSE. As a mathematician, I find the challenging intriguing and stimulating. However, after a while rather frustrating as well. Due to this, right now, the course seems exciting yet daunting to me. Furthermore, since math HL has been stereotyped as being one of the harder IB courses I have grown fearful of what’s to come. When solving problems I like to work things out for myself because when I find the answer I get rewarded with a satisfying sense of fulfillment. Nonetheless, if I am not able to solve the problem after several tries, I do like it when someone explains it to me. On the other hand, if I’m stuck on a problem I have two methods of figuring it out. First, I step back and piece together everything I’ve found out already and revisit the question to see if there’s any information I may have overlooked. If that doesn’t work, I completely re-do the question as I do tend to make silly mistakes. In terms of my skills, I think my top three are organized, questioning, and collaborative. The area I mainly need to focus on is being reflective to ensure I don’t repeat past mistakes and avoid being careless.

One thought on “Maths and Me

1. I know it can seem daunting (especially as I spent a lesson telling you how difficult it was!) but with perseverance you will be fine. It will be challenging but if you are excited by challenge then that will help!
    Questioning: feel free to ask away.
    Collaborative: plenty of opportunity for that in class and in work set later
    Organised: Keeping on top of work and giving yourself time to do a ‘little more’ occasionally is good.