Patient Care: Local Service

24/09/18

Patient care service is the one thing I was extremely excited about when first starting the school year. I have always loved service work, it makes me feel that I am full as a person if that even makes sense.  Although I was a bit hesitant about it for the reason that I thought it would be awkward when talking to the patient. One of the learning outcomes I expect out of this is to demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience and to demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance. One of the reasons I chose this service was because I have heard, from the 12th graders that they are handling HIV patients, and I personally wanted to tackle the stigma that is always brought up about HIV in asian countries. I wanted to personally get to know patients, and deliver what I got to know of them to others, hoping that this will break the stereotypes they have around HIV/AIDS patients. A lot of people suffering from HIV have been neglected by companies, they have been rejected from job offers just because they have HIV which makes no absolute sense taking into consideration that they work like any normal healthy people.