Alison Bechdel “My Old Flame” vs Sappho

Global issue: community, culture, and identity

Sappho’s voice is not solid through the different translations of the same poem. When reading the translated Sappho poems, I hear the translator’s voice rather than Sapphos’. Julia Dubnoff’s translation of Sappho’s #19 poem is flowery and romantic.  The use of ‘soft’ imagery such as “wreaths of roses” and “royal perfume” sets the mood for a solemn farewell poem about a loved one. She appears to be less romantic in another translation by Anne Carson—perhaps due to more fragmented nature disrupting the flow of the Sappho’s melancholy yet optimistic emotions towards romance. Nevertheless, through the two different versions of the same poem, Sappho’s voice can still be vaguely heard: while romantic love can hurt, she will continue to pursue the beautiful experience of loving someone.

Allison Bechdel, on the other hand, seems to have a much harder time easing into romantic love. For Sappho, falling in love is portrayed as an extremely easy thing while Bechdel portrays her struggles to fall in love, even with a woman so perfect like Tamar. This same romantic love is frustrating for Alison: “Why wasn’t I falling for her? She was so beautiful”.