Don’t Ask Where Your From, Ask Where You’re Local

When someone asks me where I am from, I straight away say I am from England to make it simple, but am I really? When I say I am from England, I mean the country which I was born in, the country which I am a citizen of and the country’s passport I hold. Formally talking, I am technically from six countries: England, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Ukraine and Russia, let me explain. If you go back two generations, my grandparents were actually part of the USSR, which obviously nowadays does not exist because it collapsed back in 1991. But what this does indicate is that I am from the countries which were a part of the Soviet Union. I honestly do agree that it is better to ask a person where they are local, because if you were to communicate with an Asian person who is living in the US, you would be expecting to hear them answer where they were originally from, such as Japan, or China but that doesn’t necessarily mean where they are “from”. This would also eliminate confusion when I am conversing with others, because always stating the six countries where I am actually “from” or saying I am from the USSR today is preposterous, and so I just give the simple answer “England”, where I am mostly from. You could also argue that where you are “from” is the country where you have lived or are living in for the majority of your life, in my case this would be Singapore (I have lived here for nine years, and in England only five) but I wouldn’t necessarily say that I am from Singapore because I am caucasian while almost all of Singapore’s population is of Asian descent. Another reason would be that I can only speak one of the many main languages spoken here, I only fluently know Russian and English.