Summer Internship

If you imagine yourself at the end of your World of Learning Week internship, how might you know that it has been a success?

• What might be some things you hope to be more confident in doing at the end of the work experience that you are not as confident doing right now?

Since I’ve never worked in a restaurant before, I’m hoping to develop new skills in working under timed conditions, and being able to memorize and adapt to customers needs. In other words, I’m hoping to be able to learn to my best extent the work that is involved in the different parts of managing a restaurant, including how each person contributes to the overall efficiency.

• What pieces of evidence might you want to collect to determine the success of your WOL internship?

I’m hoping to be able to take some photos of the restaurant (without having customers in the photos), have some comments from my supervisor, or to have evidence of a learning experience through being able to accomplish a new skill.

• What challenges might you face and what strategies might you employ in these situations?

My challenges will most likely stem from the fact it is a new environment with new people and new requirements. I think there will be difficulties that just come with being new to something and having to learn many different skills, but I also think there might be challenges with the people itself, as in, working in a restaurant is not as glamorous as it is made out to be, and there may be instances of miscommunication with customers.

• If you could refine it to one goal, what would be the most important one to pay attention to this summer?

To be adaptable and quick thinking, I believe this will be the most important in helping me, especially since a restaurant can have many inconsistencies.

Here is a list of potential questions I could be asked: 

• More information about your education and experience
      • Why did you apply?
      • Tell me about yourself?
      • What skills and qualities do you have?
    • Why are you interested? What can you offer?

And I list of potential questions I would ask:

• How would they define their ideal hire?
    • What does it feel like to work in the company?
    • What is the personality of the people in the team?
    • Information about the pay and uniform