SL Maths Going forward

Past Experience and problems of the past

I have already done IGCSE maths and with such, I think that I have a firm grasp on a lot of the pre-required maths knowledge. I most associate math with problem-solving and reasoning I personally like to look at problems and solve them myself, however, I will go to a teacher if I don’t understand something. I am nervous about entering this course, I had some trouble last year even though I got good grades. I think my struggle stemmed from how fast I like to try to solve stuff and this speed leads to both a lack of organization as well as an increase in the frequency of my mistakes. I think that this is where I often get stuck and retracing my steps and going slower usually solves this. I think that in IB this is my main goal for my general learning.

Skills

I think that I have strong critical thinking skills and skills in thinking outside the box. When I’m faced with a challenging problem I think of an alternate way to solve it and find the answer. I think that I also express strong communication and collaboration skills I think I work really well with anyone who I’m paired up with and can communicate well with the class. Below I’ve highlighted the skills that I think that I most embody in class.

• A critical thinker
  • A problem solver
  • Inquiring/questioning
  • Creative
  • Innovative/Original
  • Imaginative
  • Curious
  • Interested
  • Adaptable
  • Persistent
  • A risk-taker
  • Collaborative
  • A leader
  • Organise
  • Flexible
  • A good communicator
  • A self-manager
  • Independent
  • Diligent
  • Organised
  • Responsible
  • Open minded
  • Optimistic
  • Confident
  • Self-disciplined
  • Reflective