Writers fortnite session 3: Fiona Herbert UNICEF

Stepping into this session I knew I was going to witness an extremely gritty and challenging life, someone who has devoted their life to others. Although my expectations were high, I was still overwhelmed by the immense good will of Fiona Herbert.

Her job, a child protector in Kenya demands so much from her, and yet she provides and provides. She has worked with many local NGOs in Kenya that provide shelter, sanitation and education. Originally she worked in the London burrows, with little child protection experience.

She states that the living conditions of the slums, encourage a huge HIV rate, each slum harbouring an underdeveloped society of millions. And the sad part is not only that tourists acknowledge this more than the government, most disregard the huge MEDC portion of Kenya. Whereas the government only regards them, in order to maintain a positive image of Kenya the government doesn’t push to citizens to help the situation, along with that; the NGOs get little to no support from the government. Living from paycheque to paycheque also pushes away potential volunteers.

The verdict I have reached is that UNICEF has done so much to assist the nation, that it’s now the time when Kenya is approaching a uniform MEDC.