Guided Analysis Practice & Feedback

From the guided analysis feedback, the main issue I took away was paying equal attention to the visual and written text and being more deliberate and specific when making links of what I see with what the brand aims to promote. I think I focused more on the visual text which made the written text less thought out and elaborate. 

In my analysis of the written text, I did not unpack “Hostess Unafraid!” which was the most noticeable part of the written text. Although an analysis was attempted, (“In this context… family.”) the explanation was half-baked – the style of the language itself and the unpacking what it means to be a hostess could have strengthened my argument. 

Additionally, I also could have done the following:

• Think more deeply about the context the ad was produced in: The Great Depression 
  • Kept in mind what was missing from the text: Lack of textual references to non-white Americans; racial segregation/ ethnic division.
    • Lack of representation?
    • Are these texts then encoding certain values or pedalling existing values? 
  • The characterisation of the woman
    • Heavily focused on objectifying her as a facade of beauty
  • ‘Hostess’ – Transmuting economic anxiety into a social one
    • Social anxiety 
    • Social judgement 
    • Character in itself

Points to remember: 

• Avoid being vague/ ambiguity in writing
  • Answer ‘so what?’ questions 
  • Pay attention to visual and written text equally (style of the language)
  • Always link back to what the brand wants to sell us + what assumptions are producers making of their consumers? Why?