The writer’s fortnight was such an amazing event to be a part of. It was so interesting to learn about stories from many different people, that it gave us insights to what it is like to be a refugee, a criminal psychologist or even a cancer survivor.  To get opportunities to listen to such interesting stories has broadened our horizons to the real world and the many obstacles humans face. When it came to choosing an article to write about, it became my very first challenge. I had just listened to 5 vastly different stories, that were each unique in their very own ways. I thought over and over again and finally decided to write an article relating to the refugee crisis in our world and how politicians respond to this. This article was definitely inspired by the story that I heard from Joy Haugen and how she was displaced from her own home country during the South-Sudanese Civil War.  I chose to write about politicians and how they dehumanise refugees because I have always been interested in why politicians like Trump keep on dehumanising refugees by calling them, murderers and rapists. I researched a lot more about these politicians and thought that it would be interesting to write about how these politicians are creating havoc in their countries and turning a safe haven for refugees into a place where they are put inside cages and separated from their families. Writing this article gave me an insight into what it is like to be a refugee and having to suffer the political onslaught of these politicians. After finishing my article, I was quite proud of it and I decided to send it five people to receive some feedback.  The feedback I received was positive overall and they enjoyed reading it.  Some of the people I emailed to, gave me some extra ideas to what I could do for the conclusion of my piece. I used the ideas and edited my piece

Hearing these stories, not only gave me an insight into the lives of these people, but also an insight into the community in UWC and how vastly different it is. We have many people from, vastly different cultures and who have many different stories to share. Hearing these stories makes me feel proud to be a part of such an open and different community.