The short films, Alive in Joburg by Neil Blomkamp and Bottle Rocket by Wes Anderson are of completely different genres. However, they still have certain similarities that connect the two. The first connection I have witnessed is in their cinematic choices. Both use a handheld camera in some of their movement sequences. This might be due to a low production budget as these were both concept films. However, after a little bit of research, I found out that one of the trademarks of the director Neil Blomkamp is the use of handheld cameras. The handheld camera allows for the video to be shaking and might display uncertainty or panic. This is very well used in many of the scenes in Alive in Joburg when the soldiers are pursuing the aliens. The camera is shaking and it feels as if one of the soldiers themselves are carrying a camera to document this. I think the handheld camera is excellently used in order to showcase the uncertainty in such perilous times. This is something quite visually striking to the audience and is explicitly shown.

In the case of Wes Anderson’s Bottle Rocket however, it is very bizarre for someone who has seen many of his recent films.  When looking at most of his films, such as The Grand Budapest Hotel or The Royal Tenenbaums, what one sees are perfectly choreographed still-shots. In this, the camera never moves and there is often the usage of the rule of thirds and characters are positioned in a very symmetrical manner. However, in many of the movement sequences in Bottle Rocket, the camera is seen shaking and it is obvious that a handheld camera is being used. Though both films use a handheld camera, I think their reasons are vastly different. In my personal opinion, I don’t think the effect of a shaking camera was intentional in Bottle Rocket, however, it does have an interesting effect for the film. For example, during the scene when the Wilson brothers argue about their robbery, we can see the camera shake. This is one of the first moments of tension in the film and I think the motion of the camera aids the writing in conveying the rise of tension.

My second connection for both of these films would be the realistic aspect of them. Even though Alive in Joburg is a science fiction short film about aliens, there is something real about it. I think if aliens were to come to the earth this would be a very accurate representation of what would happen.  The use of the handheld camera is one of the reasons why both films are realistic. It feels as if we are just watching over the characters act. Secondly, both films also use their writing in order to make it realistic. Characters interrupt each other, they pause while speaking and laugh in naturalistic ways. In Alive in Joburg, the many interviews of villagers, scientists and soldiers help the film to be naturalistic. Thirdly, there are many things going around in the mise-en-scene in both films that make it feel realistic.  In one moment of Alive in Joburg, there is a chicken walking in the foreground, and in the background, there are children walking around in a panicked manner. For Bottle Rocket, there are cars and trucks moving around in the background while the two main characters walk in the foreground. It feels as though traffic is moving naturally and there is no choreographing or devising that takes place. I think a feeling of realism fully immerses the viewer and allows them to simply observe the characters act in Bottle Rocket and observe chaos ensue in Alive in Joburg.