The way to study and prepare yourself for exams or tests is very important, especially going into high school and having an increasing amount of work we have to accomplish in short periods of time. Everyone has a different way of approaching this, either by using different methods, putting it off until last minute, or planning ahead and completing each work on the day it was given, etc. I think the way we study is just a routine that we create, a habit that we have, and although it is pretty difficult to change (I can relate as I wanted to change the order of what I do when I come home), it isn’t impossible and it might make you feel better, or maybe worse. Every person has a different way of interpreting things and getting something into their head,  I personally like it when I start my homework early, but most of the time a part of me tells me that I’ll be able to finish it later, that I have time, resulting in procrastinating and not having enough time. I do get good grades and I do work hard on every subject, but I also do procrastinate a lot and I feel like I don’t prioritize how I spend my time on each subject that well. For example, last year I didn’t really enjoy English, so I would leave it to the end, but I would procrastinate and wouldn’t be able to do what I wanted to for English.

In the article, it states that ‘although a good grade may be achieved in the short term by cramming for an exam, chances are that most of the information will be quickly lost.’ I agree with this as whenever I put things to later and end up cramming all my homework and reviewing at night, I tend to forget a lot of the information by the end of the week. For example, for Chinese when there is a vocabulary test, I usually learn all my words the night before and hope that I remember them all. I usually do, but by next week I won’t have any clue how to write them or what they mean.

‘Most students probably don’t need to study more — just smarter.’ Finding your own way and the way that fits you best is the most important when studying, and using your time and prioritizing your work properly will help you in the long run.

https://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/09/what-are-your-best-tips-for-studying/