What might have helped you decide your project theme?
Initially, I knew I wanted to work on something related to Biology as I’m planning to take it next year HL. I remembered a guest speaker who was an entrepreneur that talked to us about growing meat using stem cells which interested me. I also take food technology as a subject, so I thought I could

What was your initial approach to this project? How might that change?
First, I looked at the broader context of this topic such as how recent this is, what does it do, what it affects, etc. My initial approach was finding the consequences of producing lab-grown meat, and the environmental/social effects it has. My next approach would be to look into the science aspect of it and dive deeper into researching the process and past data.

How might you demonstrate creativity and innovation through this project?
I want to make a video presentation, so I will try to demonstrate my creativity in the visual aspect – such as diagrams to help support my research (e.g the complicated process of creating lab-grown meat). I will probably demonstrate innovation by introducing this new advancement and connecting it to how it can help to be beneficial for our health, for the climate, for meeting the consumer’s demand.

What might be the next steps you take in completing your project? Can you anticipate any hurdles?
My next steps are going to be researching more in-depth about my topic:

– How is meat grown using stem cells
– Differences between real meat/lab-grown
– Economic/environmental factors
– What are its benefits
– Is it safe to eat? (Nutritional aspect)
– Statistics + evidence
– Difference between producing different types of mock meat

And finding a way to put my information together clearly. Some challenges I think I will face is explaining the process, and showing different perspectives on this topic.