Final Reflection Post on Physical Activity: Rock Climbing

I have been apart of the Rock Climbing activity which is located in @Onsight in Geylang which is for the Advanced group.

In the first few weeks, our first lesson to rock climbing and for most of the lesson, we talked about what would happen over the next few weeks. We explored our site and learnt all the basics and the important information we need for the next few weeks. Later on, we continued the introduction into rock climbing. We reviewed belaying and some rock climbing techniques and skills. Furthermore, I also tried belaying in a different way that I am used to. This new technique was much safer than the one I used to do before. Moreover, I tried some very unconventional holes that were flat on all sides. This was a bit challenging but I overcame these sets of holes.

After the first few lessons, we tried some difficult routes on the top climb. We tried the 6a and the 6b which were challenging but most of us managed to get to the top. One of the challenges was to try a 6c with holes that are all flat on all sides. However, I cheated (as in using nearby holes not part of the route which had an easy grip) and my goal was that I would like to learn new techniques when climbing such routes. I have tried new techniques but some of the holds have a very hard grip. In order to improve, I learned that I definitely need to warm up my hands and try to use more chalk in order to get a better grip. I also tried the very high wall. But after a while, I was able to comfortably take on the challenge of 6a and 6b and I have managed to climb a few 6c routes.

After that, I started to focus more on bouldering. I learned more about how to hold holes that were called jug, pinch, crimp sloper, pocket, jib and mono. I learnt new techniques in bouldering and surprisingly, it is much harder to boulder than to top climb because you can rest when top climbing, but with bouldering, you need to do everything in one go, otherwise you fall. In the end, it has been very fun and I will continue this activity for the next few weeks. I will probably choose another activity, but it has been really challenging and rewarding joining this activity. 

Here is an image of the grips and holes that I learned through this activity:

Monday, Febuary 5th, 2018, was my last climbing session. In my opinion, I have expanded my knowledge on climbing and I believe that as of right now, I am a decent rock climber, in terms of the average person. It has been exhilarating and awesome to be part of this activity. I will start the Dragons Badminton for my next activity.

Courtesty and Quick Reference:

What are some of the biggest mistakes beginners make, and what techniques should I be focusing on as a beginner? from bouldering

http://thesmartlocal.com/sg/facilities/1742-onsight-climbing-gym

http://sg.asia-city.com/singapore-venue/onsight-climbing

https://www.facebook.com/events/759954907506878/