IFP: Timor Leste Conference Initial Reflection

Recently I was told that I was selected to be in a conference in East Timor where we work with delegates in an organisation in Dili called “Youth For Peace”. I was put in a team of 10 people from East and 10 people from Dover. The next two seasons would consist of planning for the conference as it is completely student led. A challenge that I think I will face is time managing and collaborating with the Dover students. Because we can’t meet the Dover students every single IFP session, it will be up to us to either Skype them or meet them in person over the weekends. I worry that I won’t be able to balance normal school work as well as IFP as I heard that it takes up a lot of student’s time. However, I think that it could be manageable if we just don’t leave everything to the last minute. Although I have never met them before, I am sure that the Dover students are just as passionate about IFP as we are and that the conference in the end will be very meaningful to both us and the delegates. From this conference (planning as well as initiating it), I wish to build on my leadership skills- to be more comfortable with public speaking, and also work on my collaboration skills with the Dover students and delegates from DiliĀ (LO1). I am extremely excited for the trip especially since I can finally put everything I learnt in the past 6 months into good use.

LO1 Increased awareness of strengths and areas for growth.