Culturama #1

Culturama is definitely a new experience as I’ve never danced in a school showcase like this before. A celebration of cultures and sharing that with everyone else, I think that’s pretty amazing. So this is adding onto an old experience and developing it I have been doing Chinese dance since I was 6 years old, so it’s been almost 10 years and it’s something I deeply connect with. Dance is such an amazing way to express and explore new areas within your emotions that you haven’t come in contact with before. Let’s you really be free.

We only get a month to put the whole show together so there is definitely a stress on the time restraint. People are getting really stressed about getting everything ready for the final show which is in 2 weeks. Extra rehearsals are constantly added here and there and that puts pressure on everyone as we would have to try to adapt our own schedule to accommodate these rehearsals. It isn’t exactly the greatest thing as if a few person are missing, everything would be really confusing and hard to figure out. People also learn at different rates and especially with a time cap, it’s hard to give everyone the time that is needed to learn a piece properly.

The time restraint aside, I do think that the show will be a great one. The dancing doesn’t exactly have to be professional as not everyone involved has prior knowledge of dance but I think the energy to celebrate a culture that we possibly relate to makes up for everything else lacking. Culturama is very unique to our school, so being involved makes it even more special.

An experience that will develop strengths is the learning outcome achieved here. I’ve never danced a piece that is choreographed by a person my age so it’s interesting and really let’s me appreciate by how talented people are. Dance I would consider a strength of mine since I’ve done it for so long so I’m developing it by trying new things within that field.