During almost 10 months of service as a group of 8 people, as well as the 2 supervisors, I realized how working collectively and collaboratively can impose a great benefit on our surroundings, in this case the Singaporean community we dwell in. Before joining this service club, I was rather stuck in my international bubble, during which I rarely interacted with non international school individuals. However, after joining this club, I was able to interact with various individuals residing or visiting the local training center.

The main purpose of this service club was to help and support the center in training the PWIDs such that they can participate in the Special Olympics. Because we needed to create a detailed plan, we had to work collaboratively to come with engaging training drills that demonstrate the basic skills such as passing and shooting required for floor ball and basketball. Although I was able to reference some drills from my past experience in a basketball team, the incorporation of existing drills with the inputs of other members such as the use of hula hoop for accurate passings significantly enhanced the quality of the drills. Moreover, although we individually had to focus on one or two clients, we constantly had to be cautious of other clients in the case of emergency or sudden behaviour so that we could ensure our and the client’s safety. Last but not least, the reflection sessions we had on the bus ride back to school allowed us to view the perspectives of all members, and this helped us better reflect our progress as each member of this service would have had different opinions or suggestions.

Posted in CAS