Maths and Me

Hi! I’m Jasmine from Malaysia! I did my IGCSE’s and I did both E-Math and A-Math for it.

I generally have a very pessimistic view towards mathematics. I won’t lie. I always told myself I was an artsy student and disliked math but I did it for the sake of it anyway. However, I don’t feel too nervous about starting this course. Since I did additional mathematics, I feel like I have a base foundation for Maths SL in IB, maybe not the best, but if it weren’t for my subject choice of A-Math in the IGCSE’s, I’ll probably find myself struggling much more.

I like to stay between doing things myself and having someone explaining it to me. I can’t study maths by myself since I get stuck easily, but I also like to do my work by myself (since I concentrate best in a calm and quiet environment) with nobody bothering me.

When I’m stuck in mathematics I always rely on my peers of teachers. For me, I can’t learn math through something like Khan Academy or online videos. I must have someone be there and teach me! I like to ask questions on the spot anyway.

My biggest skill is once I understand a concept, all that’s left is just to practice and practice. I’ll be able to finish the job easy. However, it takes me a while to actually understand the concept before I get to that level.

I want my math teacher to know he’s cool and I hope his leg gets better.