CAS Reflection: HS Netball 19&U Girls

In my previous high school, I wasn’t able to join a sports team because of how demotivated I was to go out and join. However, I enjoyed playing netball casually with my sisters, that’s why I decided to join the U19 netball team and give it a go, and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Joining a sports team was nerve-wracking because I wasn’t sure how it worked or how my team would perceive me if I were to mess up one way or another. On top of this, I hadn’t played netball in such a long time and out of my entire team, I feel as though I was the least experienced. However, I told myself that if I wasn’t going to give it my all, then I might as well leave. So, throughout training and games, I wanted to do the absolute best I could to contribute to the teamwork of netball, and sometimes, it just felt good to get out there and play. Because of this, I feel as though I have accomplished learning objective 2: demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process. Throughout training and games, I always learned something new. Not once did I get out of training without new skills or information about the sport and I feel like my mindset towards netball and passion for it grew, the more I played it.

One of the best parts of joining a team is the friends that you make. I was the only grade 11 in my team, but I didn’t feel out of place. It was great fun being able to play with friends who had a mutual liking for netball as I did, and through my interactions with them, I managed to get out of my comfort zone and talk to new people, whom I’d never met before. Learning objective 5: demonstrate the skills and recognize the benefits of working collaboratively was another LO I feel I had fulfilled in netball. Without collaboration and communication, the team simply cannot function. It was crucial to talk to the members, both in court and out of court.

My overall goal for joining netball was simply to be able to play for a team and have fun while doing it. Yes, sometimes it was tough to always have fun because of the competitive nature, but I’m glad I was able to represent UWCSEA while playing with various other schools.

One big drawback from netball, however, was my full commitment to the activity. There were days where I prioritised schoolwork over sports or was simply too drained to go. This is the biggest aspect I wish to improve on in the future, because knowing that if I attended all sessions, the impact of netball on me would have been much bigger. In the future, it would be optimal to balance schoolwork and sports (or creativity) to ensure consistent attendance, because sometimes, it’s just better to go out and do something else besides mugging over schoolwork all the time.