Social Media

Social media.

Something that almost everybody around me has. Often, when someone takes out their phone, it’s to use social media. I’ll take a sneak peek at their screens, and there we go. Instagram. Pictures and captions flooding the screen, scrolling down and down and down… it seems never-ending. The scroll. Slide down the screen, double tap. Slide, tap tap. Slide, tap tap. Only occasionally taking more than two seconds to look at the post to genuinely process and appreciate whatever it is. Occasionally letting out a quick laugh from a joke or a meme or a silly post from a friend. But really, it’s all just slide, tap tap. Slide, tap tap. A repetitive motion that seems quite so meaningless. Most of the time, I don’t see a smile on their faces when they scroll.

I don’t really see the point of having social media that way. I don’t need social media to be social- I don’t want to download something because all my friends have it or because I don’t want to ‘miss out’; I can live perfectly well without it.

Though, of course, if you have social media, you like it, and you’re comfortable with the amount of time you spend on it, then by means, social away.