Project Week Final Reflection

I think that project week has perhaps been the best experiences of high school. It was quite challenging, but extremely thrilling and fun at the same time. We were all looking forward to the trip. The first day we drove for around 8 hours. Although the drive was long and we were slightly impatient to reach our destination, it was amazing. We drove through many mountains in Kota Kinabalu. Our first night was nice as we were staying in a hotel. We left for the actual service on the second day. It was in the middle of a forest. Initially, the place scared us a bit. All of us thought that we would be sleeping in a room with proper fans/air con and a comfortable bed and bathroom. However, we were taken to a shelter without any electricity or beds. Since it was very sunny and hot outside, we thought that it wouldn’t be possible to survive here for another 5 days. The place also had many insects which I was petrified of. We had to sleep in small tents. After the first night, we started getting used to the place and conditions. The next day we started doing planting activities. Working in the heat was hard. But we took many breaks and made sure to stay hydrated. The electricity came on from around 6pm to 11pm. During that time, all of us sat around a single fan. It felt heavenly. The nights were quite windy and nice. Going to the bathroom in pitched darkness was terrifying because there were spiders, bats and wasps everywhere. We wanted to shorten our trip by a day, but everyone recommended that we completed the project. By the 3rd day we were completely fine with the environment. The insects didn’t scare us and we became used to the weather. Every morning we cooked our own breakfast, and night our own dinner. It was fun cooking with my friends. During this trip I learnt many different skills that will last me for the rest of my life. A few of them were resilience, being open minded and collaboration.