EA Journey and Motivation for choosing my Political Issue

For Global politics course we don’t only  analyse political issues, as we have done through the school. We actually engaging in them and learning about them first hand. This is known as the engagement activity (EA). The Engagement Activity is an internal assessment done by the Global politics IB students where we chose and explore a political issue  in a country .  It is a chance to collect  data on issues that we are expected to actively engage by doing interviews, internships, volunteering  and many more during our summer break. It is an excellent opportunity for students to get active  and it is also quiet good for students who are politically inclined. On the 16th of December,2019 Engagement activity was introduced to all the grade 11s. After that we started to decide what political issues based on the key concepts we have chosen. On the 2nd of March,I submitted my  EA proposal which includes all the political topic that I have chosen so far and the reason why i chose that specific topic as well as the importance of it  following the details of the key people that you have contacted with regards to your engagement.

I chose to focus on Development and Poverty when it comes to education in Fiji. I then did  a little bit of research relating the issue I want to focus on and started compiling important notes from the reading. Focusing on Education was the first thing came to my mind when thinking about my EA political issue and then I chose to focus on the Education system in Fiji rather than other countries. I have always passion about engage in this issue, as a Fijian growing up in an environment where life was hard when it comes to Education. I grew up in a family where I have to walk to school and sometimes I don’t have lunch, going to school barefoot and wearing the same Uniform over 2 to3 days.  With that being said I think this issue is good for me to investigate more into a deeper detail as it allows me to understand the various levels of development of the country as well as to have a much deeper insights of the issue surrounding the challenges of education that students have to go through in both rural and urban areas and perhaps what the people and the Government can do to help.

#EA