Christian Outreach for the Handicapped First Visit

For my service, I am part of a group that will organize activities for local people with handicaps. When the service properly starts up after the break, we will be receiving them at school for 30 minutes during lunch once a week. However, last week, to get a sense of them before we start to run activities, we went to visit the organisation at an HDB near school.

Our service group asking initial questions from the staff at COH

This was an eyeopening experience, since I have not seen or interacted with many people with handicaps previously, so seeing them and talking to them was something new. Although we are working at a local scale with local people, there are handicapped people all over the world. A lot of them are not treated well and are looked down upon. (LO6) Therefore I hope that through my service I will be able to, if not actually help them, to make their weeks have a bit more fun in them and to help them interact with others.

I know that for this service I will need to work collaboratively with other people in my service to plan and set up each week’s session. If we do not have proper communication between us, we will not be able to make our lunch time slot effective or enjoyable. (LO5)

When I chose this service, I was a little apprehensive about the need for large amounts of interaction with others as well as working with strangers, as I am generally a rather reserved person. However, this visit and making name tags with our future visitors has shown me that it is a lot easier than I thought. I am looking forward to working with this group of students and our clients on this local and global topic and making the most out of the time we have.