Yoga with Tampines MINDS #1 LO1

LO1

In Yoga with Tampines MINDS we aim to help people with intellectual disabilities by teaching them simple but effective yoga to help them increase their focus and feel happy. I chose to do this service because I enjoy yoga myself; Yoga really calms me down and helps me bring my focus together while also relieving aches and pains in the body from strain. I have been doing yoga for 4 years and it has taught me how to keep healthy in a relaxed way. For example, every morning I usually do the Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) to wake my body up and feel more active. The Surya Namaskar also helps increase your metabolism so you remain healthy.

I wanted to do this service because I enjoy seeing yoga benefit others as well as myself. Yoga is very calming for me and it has helped me with many of my health problems. I joined this service because I want to share my experience with others and help them benefit through yoga. I have previously helped teach and assist elderly people yoga at an old age home in Hong Kong and it felt great to put a smile on their faces, I really enjoyed it.

This service has been such a great opportunity and I have enjoyed leading it this year as Local Chair. We got to build a strong relationship with our partners and see them grow in focus, concentration and happiness and it was a very rewarding experience. It was amazing to see how much they enjoyed the activity. We managed to build a strong relationship with tampines minds as well and I am looking forward to working with them next year as well. This service has also taught me a lot in return. Its taught me how to be patient and really look out for what the person we are working with is feeling, even though it everything may not go exactly as planned. In sessions we would often research about the disabled community in Singapore and look for perspectives on how someone feels in society as a member of the ID community, this given me more exposure to the intellectually disabled community and helped me look past the stereotypes or stigma that people hold against them. In turn our