Student Portfolio

The Story of My Learning Starts Here

HS Recreational Softball

LO1 – Identifying your own strengths and develop areas for personal growth
LO2 – Demonstrate that you have undertaken, developing new skills in the process

LO4 – Show commitment to and perseverance in you CAS experiences
LO5 – Demonstrate the skills and recognize the benefits of working collaboratively

This year I have decided to participate in Softball, after picking up a sport that once I was playing in PE during middle school. It brought back a lot of memories and it is a great sport with many thrills and a lot of fun. Softball is similar to a sport that I used to play competitively, which is cricket, although every sport has it’s differences and so switching to something I don’t have a vast experience of is quite difficult, and therefore it is important that you show your interests and your willingness to learn every aspect of the game.

I think that from prior experience I have some background of the technical abilities required but none of it is at a competitive level, so when tryouts come I feel that I need to be a lot better than I am at the moment. I think that based of when I was playing cricket my catching was quite inconsistent, and it has reflected the same in softball, so I feel that this is an area of focus I need to work on between now and tryouts.

Being a team sport, softball requires a lot of communication and teamwork both on and off the field, and I think that I don’t do that enough at times. I’m not the most talkative person, so I don’t tend to participate much in group discussions but I do feel that I am a good role player and I pull my weight when I need to.

So far we haven’t had many sessions but my consistent participation has helped me to become a lot better at the sport and with more practice I should hopefully be ready for the season. It is my aim to make the team so if I do it’ll be a great accomplishment for me. I will be doing pre-season softball as a way to continue do develop on my current skills so I’m physically fit and ready for when tryouts come up.

Next Post

Previous Post