Rugby CAS Reflection #2 – LO4

LO 4 COMMITMENT (Showing perseverance, resilience and commitment in activities)

I showed resilience and commitment in this activity by continuing to attend the activity even when my ankle was injured. Although in the end this was a mistake (I have to participate in physiotherapy for a couple months as a result of these actions) I think it demonstrated my commitment to the team, the sport and the passion I have for sports in general. If I were to go back in time however I would continue to participate in the activity after the injury however focus on activities that would not cause more harm to my ankle. For me, maintaining my motivation for sports comes naturally. Waking up for a morning session and gym sessions test my commitment to sports a bit more than normal sessions (such as playing Basketball or Rugby on the field) as they are less exciting however necessary for improvement in the sports. I can think of times when I considered not working hard or waking up however those moments just passed as I felt it was something that I had and wanted to do even if at the very moment I felt too tired to think straight about my goals, etc.. My team helped me stay committed by making sure that I wasn’t attending for unnecessary reasons. This wasn’t good when I felt the pain in my ankle increasing yet the pressure to attend was still there. At a point I had to make a decision to stop training for the sake of my health. I think that my commitment to my activity led to more results than I would have gained in the limited time. Of course these results come with the negative results of the injury which has ultimately caused me to be out of training for a couple months. Sleep, the amount of work, and the injury affected my commitment levels. When I felt stressed about the amount of work I had or tired from a lack of sleep waking up in the morning was a tough decision. This made me have to fit in my work into shorter a period of time but it was definitely still manageable. Overall the experience was good yet regrettable. I am unable to play the actual season which is not great. It has also told me valuable lessons about listening to my body, my commitment and now I am being tested in another way, my commitment to rehabilitating my body through physiotherapy.

Posted in CAS